now
October 20, 2011

The other week I wrote a guest post for my long time friend Christina [see us in all of our high school glory, below].  Its a few thoughts I need to think and on an often kind of basis.  I thought maybe you’d want to think on them too

– – – – – – – – –

Do you ever think about NOW?

It’s usually always tomorrow and yesterday that take all of our thinks and thoughts.  I wonder about tomorrow and what it will be.  And I think about yesterday, what could have been and what was.

What will I do?  Who will I be?  I used to be her and am I NOW still me?

But today is today and here I am now.

Now can be so boring.  Tomorrow is exciting and yesterday is comforting.  Now can be hard and today can be tiring.  And yet now was at one time a tomorrow and it almost always looked exciting.  In days to come, it will be now that will fill your mind with happy thoughts of days gone by.

I’ve always been a believer that what you do today will have a lot to do with your tomorrow.  I think today should be lived with intent, purpose, hope and sprinkled with love.  I always hope that tomorrow will be better than today.  And I even try (on my good days) to do a little more than hope.  Make little choice here and another there that will be for the good of tomorrow.

But as for today . . .

I’m a stay at home mom with 4 little la la’s and the days can be long…. sometimes grueling.  Most days I’m just trying to make it through the day.  Wake up, make it to nap time, snacks, make it to bed time and start it all over again.  But days are turning into years.  Baby faces are morphing into actual little people and now is full speed ahead into tomorrow.

And so for now, I’m trying to be more here today.  To take a good long stare into little ocean blue eyes and see who they are on this day and to love in that moment.

It’s amazing what you will notice if you let yourself be where you are.  On a walk you might notice the beautiful flowers you always passed by.  Eating your ice cream you might actually taste it.  Having a conversation you just might hear what the person is really saying.  Their words may be the very thing that will keep you warm tomorrow.

Now here is that picture I was telling you about . . . Christina and I go way back.  Like back to the days when we all wore clothes that were like 3 sizes too big and looked like they came from the men’s department.

Trina & Christina circa 1995

Christina writes a really thought provoking and honest blog called Welcome to the Laundromat where she shares her story and journey.  She has overcome some pretty big things and in turn has a heart to help others.  She is one of those ever giving, genuine kind souls (+ a funny one at that – we have had some really great laughs over the years). I’m beyond lucky to call her my dear friend.

Images 1 / 2 / 3 /

14 Comments

commented on October 20th 2011 at 12:22pm

This is a beautiful post. Living in the now is so important – you are right, those baby faces do morph into big ones so fast. I look at my life now and my kids are actual *people*. With ideas and values and an interpretation of the world as a whole. Not babies anymore.
Was I too busy making it through the day to notice that they were growing up before my very eyes? I sure hope not. It’s so important to take pause like this in life sometimes and realize the importance of *this* moment.
Thanks for inspiring me to do that today. xo

replied on October 20th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Thank you, Meg. I wish there was a literal pause button we could just hit whenever we so desired! Thanks for commenting! xo

commented on October 20th 2011 at 2:40pm

Such a great post Trina and I couldn’t agree more- it’s hard not to just find the days long and exhausting when you’re home with kids but realizing how fast the time passes helps to make you want to be truly in the moment. Excited to check out your friend’s blog!

replied on October 20th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Thanks, Christine. I know .. it’s such a tricky balance. Sometimes daydreaming and escaping (in blogs and whatever else) helps get me through the day but a lot of times I then feel like I’ve missed the day entirely. Loved your post today too! The lavendar and blue color combination is sooooo gorgeous!

xo

commented on October 20th 2011 at 3:56pm

love love love this.
so perfectly put.
sometimes the easiest things to do (stop, breathe and take it in) can be oddly hard to remember to do…

thanks for the reminder! xo

replied on October 20th, 2011 at 9:49pm

you are so right… i am always holding my breath in one way or another! Deep breath and soak it all in! x Trina

commented on October 20th 2011 at 4:42pm

Hi I am new to your blog and totally smitten! You have really great taste and style! Becoming a follower so I can pop back often xoxo!

replied on October 20th, 2011 at 9:46pm

Amanda – awe thank you so much! so glad you like what you see ;) hope to chat again soon!

x Trina

commented on October 20th 2011 at 6:27pm

So valid, Trina. One of my favorite quotes that I have ever come across is “Good old days start with good new days….like today.” Isn’t that the truth? That is one reason I love to practice yoga. It reminds me to notice what is happening “now”. And that thinking spills over into the everything else, helping to keep me present.

replied on October 20th, 2011 at 9:46pm

i love that quote.. thanks for sharing it and I def need more yoga in my life!
x Trina

commented on October 21st 2011 at 10:29am

Trina, I can’t tell you how many times I have read this. Hmm… let’s go with fourteen : ) I love this picture of us – over sized GAP clothes at it’s finest and it makes me smile every time. Love you so much … xoxo

replied on October 21st, 2011 at 11:55am

Oh I could go on and on about you sweet friend. Love you! xo

commented on October 21st 2011 at 10:32am

PS. Thank you for your touching words. I had to turn my head away when I read it and “get my composure”. When someone you love/admire says such kind things it means the world.

commented on October 23rd 2011 at 1:34am

what gorgeous words I some times wish I could turn back the clock as my little darlings are growing up tooo fast 13 & 9 now I think you are right some times you just have to stop & catch the moments enjoy time with your La la’s & how wonderful to still be in touch with your school friend I lost contact with mine I feel quite sad about it as I was 39 when the contact stopped I think we both moved around the same time & when in different country’s its harder to know the new address I tried to no avail :( Its a treasure I wish I still had xx