Home Tour + DIY : Yarn Wall Art

yarn-art-DIY_lalalovely

hi lovelies.  first of all, i’m super excited to share a home tour, today, of my abode over on style me pretty living.  smp shot my house this last july, and the tour is finally live.

click here to see my home tour on Style Me Pretty Living.

i worked really hard on getting everything ready for this p photo shoot  i updated a few things and did a few fun DIY’s.  one of which i’m sharing today.

i don’t know about you, but i’ve been oohing and ahhing over every wool, yarn or weaved art installation i’ve been seeing online.  i love the texture, the earthiness and interest it brings into any space.  it’s a great way to add art without spending a fortune and the best part is that it will be one of a kind.

click through for the easy DIY steps to making your own yarn wall art piece:

yarn-art-diy-supplies_lalalovely

here is what you will need:

1/ a copper pipe – whatever length you like

2/ scissors

3/ ceiling hook – for hanging your finished piece

4/ a metal loop from the craft store

5/ some wooden beads to add interest

6/ yarn – in as many or as few colors as you like.  i just re recommend thicker texture

yarn-art-diy-2_lalalovely

step 1- string the yarn through the copper pipe so both ends come out and can be tied together.  you can decide how much space you would like between the metal bar and the metal loop (i based mine on the how high my wall was and how high i wanted it to hang.

yarn-art-diy-3_lalalovely

step 2- tie both loose ends of the string into a knot and secure onto the metal loop with another knot.  if you know how to tie a fancy knot, go for it.  i couldn’t be bothered and just did a quick tie.  i left tails be because wanted to add the wooden beads at the end for some interest.

yarn-art-diy-4_lalalovely

step 3- hang the piece of the ground so you can begin tying the string.

yarn-art-diy-5_lalalovely

step 4/ gage how long you want your string to hang at the longest point.  double that so you can create a long u shape of the string (so the strand looks doubled).  start from the center of the pipe and hold your first piece there (like above)

yarn-art-diy-6_lalalovely

step 5 – pull the loop behind the pipe.  creating about a one inch circle behind.

yarn-art-diy-7_lalalovely

step 6- loop the front yarn tails through the back loop to create a loose knot.  tighten the knot to secure it by pulling down on the tails (but don’t secure it too tightly.  try to make sure both tails are pretty even (although you will trim in the end).  continue on this process working from the middle out to the sides.  i did my sides a bit shorter, and when all of the string was attached i trimmed the entire piece to make a pattern and even it out.

step 7 – add beads to knot tails at the top or on any yarn pieces that you fancy.  i also chose to add in one small pop of color for interest.

step 8- secure your hook into the wall and hang your piece onto it. and enjoy!

yarn-art-diy-8_lalalovely

more pics of my living room here.

more of my home here + more DIY projects here.

• Michaela
    Commented on September 22nd, 2014 at 3:08pm

Lovely, friend! It’s so gorgeous…I just adore every square inch! And your family– beautiful :)

• Trina
    Commented on September 23rd, 2014 at 11:34am

thank you so much, friend! xoxoxo

• Johanna
    Commented on September 22nd, 2014 at 8:06pm

Lovely home tour! I love how clean and bright it looks. Your cat is beautiful as well. Is he a special breed or a regular old kitty? Thanks for the create blog!

• Trina
    Commented on September 23rd, 2014 at 11:33am

thank you so much! he is a mix. we were told he has some short haired himalayan in him, but we got him at the humane society, so who knows. and, he’s gotten darker over time. he is the sweetest! xo. t

• jenn @ beyond the stoop
    Commented on September 23rd, 2014 at 7:34am

this is just the push I needed to get some “other” art on my walls besides paintings and photos. I LOVE the idea of using a copper pipe! also, did you only use that one skein of yarn that you showed in the photo or did you need to use more?

thanks for sharing!!
    jenn

• Trina
    Commented on September 23rd, 2014 at 11:32am

awesome. thanks for asking that question…i used almost two. the yarn i bought was on the cheap from wal-mart. xo . t

• Rebekah
    Commented on September 26th, 2014 at 10:07pm

Love this yarn art piece! I have been trying to figure out what to do with a large wall in our family room and this is going to be it! Thank you for sharing! One question: how did you hang it – from the ceiling? Or the wall?

• Trina
    Commented on October 7th, 2014 at 11:55am

the hook, #3 in the supplies picture, is what i used. we screwed it into the wall with the hook facing up and then just hung the metal loop on that. hope that makes sense. xo . t

• sarah
    Commented on October 8th, 2014 at 11:38am

Can you tell me what length you went with for the copper pipe? I just have to make one! It looks so wonderful ( I’ve tried a weaving with stiff plastic canvas, but I really love this look). I think the length you used is perfection!

• Trina
    Commented on October 14th, 2014 at 11:04am

hi sarah! the pipe i used is 4ft/48inches. at first i thought it was too long, but now i’m loving the length of it! good luck!

• Le blog de Lily » [DIY] Tissage en laine
    Commented on June 10th, 2015 at 3:13am

[…] Les bricoleuzes Creative bug Two thirty five designs Oh the sweet things Oleander + Palm Caracteri-elle La la lovely things […]

• Jess
    Commented on July 6th, 2015 at 5:28pm

Where can I purchase a copper pipe?:)

• Trina