happy friday lovelies. so, we are on vacation and it has been so nice with the exception of the snowstorm the other day. say what? that was kind of a site . . . the desert covered in snow. i can’t wait to share some pictures from our trip and tell you all about it but for now i’m still gone for a few more days and hoping to soak up every second of it….which means a little less screen time. and speaking of screen time. do you find it hard to step away from the computer or put your phone down? i want to capture every moment but sometimes i feel as if i’m actually missing “the” moment and that maybe i should just capture it in my mind. that is a whole other conversation. don’t you think?
a couple of things before i try to soak up the sunshine (the snow has melted…thank god):
+ i tried braiding my hair for the waves using this method but threw my hair up in the process (because i’m mildly obsessed with her at the mo) + kind of loved it (above). and speaking of beauty. i got the worst no chip ever. like an entire nail (polish) fell off my finger + i didn’t even know it. i’m totally wishing my nails looked like this today.
so there you have it, a few of my recent faves. i mean, i seriously love these products. i particularly love this eye gel. i apply it every morning and the little roller ball applicator is perfect for depuffing and cooling. a morning mini spa treatment. really.
i’ve never been able to master the smoky eye. maybe its because i’m just too lazy to practice but now i don’t have to. i happened upon these bobbi brown cream shadow sticks on sunday and i’m not kidding when i say this product is a game changer. it glides right on, you can use it as shadow or liner or both. i bought it for a little drama but the truth i’m schlepping it on every morning and it works perfect for my 5 minute, every day makeup routine.
what products are you loving lately? i’d love a few new recommendations. let’s dish!
If you are a regular than you know I like a good beauty product (see here, here, + here). I love trying new products but what I love even more is when you come across a product that really works. A product that becomes a fast favorite, a necessity in your regimen and a game changer.
These, now, necessities for me have been real game changers and I recommend them without reserve:
1. Coconut Oil - As in coconut oil you buy at the grocery store and use for cooking. Hands down this is the best deep conditioner I’ve used. I slather it on, on Saturday night (talk about a grease head), lay a towel down on my pillow and go to sleep. Wash out the next morning and we are talking major soft and major shine.
2. Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask - I’m not a mask girl. I probably should be (tell me your fave and I’ll try it). This really isn’t a traditional mask its basically a really intense overnight face creme. It’s not greasy and it smells soo good. I love to use this a couple of times a week. It really lives up to its name, your skin will literally drink up moisture. My skin tends to be dry and this has taken away that tired, dry look.
3. Nars Multiple Stick in Orgasm – I know. I know. Everybody knows about this and everybody hates the name. I’ve used this color forever. I always switch back and both between powder blue hand creme. I’ve finally decided that creme is my fave and particularly this one. I promise this color looks good on everyone. It adds just the right amount of natural color and gives the perfect glow (I’m wearing it in the photo above).
4. Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Charm. I’m new to this line but I hear that it is a fave of Angelina’s, even this very lip gloss. I’m always always always buying peachy nude lip gloss and can never seem to find my match made in heaven. But I’m pretty sure this is it. The color is so great and the texture is even better. Nothing sticky, gooey or tacky about it. Smooth as butter (which makes sense since it’s French, oui?!). PS- I hear from a few sources that Chantecaille’s tinted moisturizer is better than Laura Mercier’s (say it isn’t so?). I’m looking into this.
5. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick. This makes my list every time. Couldn’t live without it. I use it every. single. day. A little on my cheeks, my nose, and my collar bones.
6. Hot Rollers - My hot rollers and I have rekindled our love. Why did I have them shoved in a dark drawer for so long? I can pop them in and get on with fixing breakfast for the kids and saving the world. Run back to the bathroom pull them out and serious volume and smoothness now lives on my head. The curling iron doesn’t hold a chance.
7. Mac Lip Conditioner - This is a “don’t leave home without it” product. The best lip conditioner. Silky, not too thick, not too thin, smells /tastes (you know what I mean) yummy and it works.
8. Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collegen Booster - This stuff is magic. My mom told me about it and she knows her stuff. She said it was time I start using a Vitamin C serum (Yes, Ma’am!). This has seriously helped my skin look fresher, more plump and dewy. My mom forgot I had been using it and the other day she asked what I was using because my skin look so much better. This is my #1 game changer as in it works magic and I’m completely hooked.
And speaking of my mom here is a little tip she taught me. Whenever you have any left over creme or serums on your hands, after applying, rub the remainder on the tops of your hands for a little ant-aging treatment. Hands always give away your age. Her hands (and skin) look fabulous from this little trick.
Do you have any game changer beauty products? Fill us in!
Fridays are for sharing favorite links. Well this Friday, I’m sharing favorite videos. And these videos just might change your “getting ready” life. This first video is a tutorial on 25 different ways to wear a scarf. I needed this like 4 years ago, as I pretty much only know how to wear my scarf one way and that would be the first style shown. If I’m ever going to live in France then I better get this down to a Science.
And since we are on all things beauty, I’ll will leave you with one link. I’ve always wondered what color nail polish Giada wears. It’s the perfect nude/pink, and well she tweeted the answer this week – - – > Essie Adore-a-ball. Great stocking stuffer, yes?!
Have a great weekend, lovelies. Now go get a scarf, some scotch tape + some eyeliner and have fun in front of the mirror. xo
I had the best facial the other day. And the thing of it is, I don’t even like facials. I’m the one that will always opt for a massage. Every facial I’ve had in recent times has not only not been very relaxing but has actually hurt. As in, face on fire kind of pain. Well, the other day spa history was made in my life. I had a facial. I enjoyed it. And I saw some pretty immediate benefits. Usually the only immediate benefits of a facial is a breakout, right? Well, it’s been a few days and no break outs. Only super soft glowy skin and an itch to get another facial.
Have you ever heard of Darphin? I had heard of it but had no idea the extent of products and magic potions + lotions and just how great they really feel. Darphin was started in France and stands behind the thought that that your face is a mirror to what is happening on the inside. Isn’t that so the truth? I love their take and philosophy on customizing a skincare plan for the individual [customize your plan h e r e ] and I think the application drawings for each product are brilliant.
I wish I had perfect hair but I pretty much don’t. What I do have is a love for products and I’m on an endless search for anything that will make hair look better, feel better and give me the gift of not having to wash my it everyday.
My friend, Erica, who owns a pretty fab salon & day spa [The Experience] is always in the know. She was sweeter than sweet to treat me to a few new products that she is loving and I have to say that I’m now la la loving them too.
Here are few of my favorites:
*I wasn’t familiar with the Davines line until Erica introduced me. It’s from Italy (what from Italy isn’t great?) and they only use reusable energy sources. I can’t wait to try more from this line.
Davines Lovely Smoothing Conditioner \ this stuff pretty much rules. it’s thick and pink, and looks like strawberry icing. i leave this on while i shave and it does it’s magic. oh, and it smells great too (sweet but not too strong).
Everyone loves Bumble + Bumble products (I, myself, love the Surf Spray). Here are two that are def worth a spray:
Bumble and Bumble White Hair Powder \ i have to wash my hair daily and this product helps me not to + that is pretty much gold in aerosol form as far as I’m concerned. a few sprays to the greasy zones and you’re good to go.
I don’t have a lot of time to do my nails or go get them done, but for some reason I can’t stop buying nail polish. The colors are so gorgeous and a small little bottle is just the perfect little pick me up or a small way to treat myself.
Have you seen this yet? I think it is the greatest idea ever. Just a little glitter on the tip of your ring finger. The aqua nails are called Mermaid Nails. I love them just for that. For a quick little how to —> click here.
It’s no secret that I love a good beauty product. Love to research them, try them and buy them. I love to pamper myself at home or in salons, I would particularly love to go to somewhere like Rush Hair in London, that’s if I ever manage to get there for a visit. And as of lately, my go to website is Beauty Bets. I love to learn about the latest and the greatest and also those products that have stood the test of time. Elizabeth, Beauty Bets author, knows her stuff. And what is even more is that she has created her own products . . . her very own line, By Elizabeth Dehn. I’m pretty smitten to have Elizabeth on la la Lovely . . . sharing some of her favorites (+ a giveaway)!
. . . . . . . . .
I know exactly when my love affair with facial mists began. In middle school, my BFF Martha got an Evian Facial Water Spray in her Christmas stocking. Her mother was—and still—is one of those timeless beauties who do elegant things like buy holiday gifts at Neiman Marcus. The original face spray was a revelation. It felt so FRENCH to spritz our faces with spring water. In the 90s, when toners were all the rage thanks to Sea Breeze and Clinique’s three-step program, I went to work for Aveda and became fanatical about the Botanical Kinetics Toning Mist. It moisturized, smelled like the Curt Cobain generation (in a good way), and looked so cool on my bathroom shelf. When I became a magazine editor, a whole world of beauty products opened up to me, including a new generation of face sprays. Heavenly, hydrating things that makeup artists were using to give models’ skin a dewy finish and spa were spritzing spas throughout facials to soothe and calm complexions (Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist is the bomb for this). I kept a chic-looking bottle of Caudalie Beauty Elixir at my desk to combat the dry cubicle air and for a quick skin pick-me-up in lieu of layering on more makeup before heading to happy hour. So smitten was I with the ritual that when I got the opportunity to create my own skincare line, BY ELIZABETH DEHN, the first product I made was a Face Spray. Yep, that’s exactly what it’s called because that’s exactly what you do with it: Spray it on your face. Anytime your skin—or your mood—needs a boost. It won’t disrupt makeup; it actually reinvigorates it. Likewise, you can spritz it on to keep powder or foundation from looking too cakey. Distilled with organic essential oils of bergamot, sweet orange, and lemon balm, it smells as juicy at it feels. And if were the kind of girl who had a motto, it would be that skin should always feel juicy!
. . . . . . . . .
Elizabeth is super generous and is offering la la readers a chance to win one of her new Face Sprays. It’s pretty easy. All you have to do is visit By Elizabeth Dehn, check out her new line + then head back here + leave a comment. And for a double entry, post or tweet about the giveaway and let me know in the comments section. A winner will be chosen at random and announced this coming Tuesday, May 31st.
Elizabeth Dehn / beautybets.com / elizabethdehn.com
All images + copy are original to la la Lovely unless otherwise credited. Please be lovely and link back when using any material from this site. If you see any of your work not credited properly or you wish it to be removed please let me know and I will correct the matter.